Welcome To The "Lighter" Side Of Things
It is always good to have to laugh when dealing with
Chiari and Related Disorders can be so difficult.
So, sit back and have a laugh!!
The Top Ten Stupid Things Said To Chiarians
10) "It would be so incredibly rare for you, too, mom, to have Chiari, and
even rarer for you and your daughter to have connective tissue disorder -
stop reading what's on the internet."
9) All of my Chiari doctors knew I had Chiari, at an appointment I was told
my constant headaches were from wearing large earrings and if I would stop
wearing them I would get better!
8) Diagnosis from a Neurology Chief of Staff when I started having
seizures. His diagnosis based on CT-scan was "massive brain
7) Prior to my diagnosis by TCI, the head of the neurology department at a
leading hospital told me "you need to go home and look for hidden stress in
your marriage. I almost strangled him on the spot, which would probably have
convinced him that he had the right diagnosis.
6) A mom wrote us with this tragic reply from a neurosurgeon: "I think your
daughter is a drama queen like mine, and I think her symptoms are
5) Another sufferer was told by a NSG at a large university hospital:
"You're lucky to be alive. Get off the internet and get on with your life."
It was later found that her neck was still broken.
4) One patient paid for a consult that resulted in this gem: "When I went
for a second opinion and mentioned that another NSG would do the surgery (an
Asian), he went on a rant saying that the NSG was just trying to make money
off me and starting running down the Asian race. My kids are half Filipino."
3) One woman went to a major neurological institute (but not a CM
specialist) and was told, "Go home and dye your hair, you'll feel better."
She was later diagnosed and had several surgeries for not only CM,
instability, cyst in her brain etc, but also a syrinx on her brainstem!
2) A patient traveled to see an expert, had a few tests, and was told to
call their state representatives and senators to discuss getting quality
health care in their state. They were urged to support Pres. Obama's health
AND THE NUMBER ONE STUPID COMMENT IS:
1) "He said that he didn't know what was wrong, but definitely it was not
Chiari. He had no suggestions. Being desperate as we all are at times when
you know that another doctor is not going to be help you and your hopes are
shattered once again...I stressed to him again how I was declining
physically and that I could not walk even the length of the mall...He looked
at my husband and stated, "I guess you are saving a lot of money".